Tuesday, January 8, 2013

Miss My's Favourite Foods: Tartiflette

I made Tartiflette today. The first time I had Tartiflette was on a skiing trip in Les Menuires, France. I think I was 21 and had just finished skiing for the day and was really tired, cold and hungry. My friend and I went to a restaurant in the village and I chose Tartiflette. It was one of the best dishes I've ever had.

Tartiflette is a French oven dish from the Savoy region. Different valleys in the region have different methods of producing Tartiflette and there are probably more than one recipe per village. The dish usually includes potatoes, onions, Reblochon cheese and some meat (usually bacon, pork or lardons). I made it with potatoes, onions, garlic, cream, diced bacon and goat's cheese as I couldn't get Reblochon cheese. Tartiflette is creamy, rich, hearty and perfect during winter. I served it with a salad and bread with butter as I had it like that in Les Menuires.

The second time I had Tartiflette was with L in Paris. I just had to have it again but somehow it didn't taste the same in Paris during summer. Maybe it's because the dish is very rich and best suited for cold winter days.

I would really recommend making it as it's really delicious. I made it using the following recipe:

Ingredients

  • 1kg waxy potatoes, peeled
  • 250g bacon lardons
  • 2 shallots
  • 1 garlic clove
  • 100ml white wine
  • 200ml double cream
  • sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
  • 1 whole Reblochon cheese (about 450g), sliced

Preparation method

  1. For the tartiflette, preheat oven to 200C/400F/Gas 7.
  2. Cook the potatoes in a saucepan of salted boiling water for 5-10 minutes, or until tender.
  3. Drain and set aside to cool slightly.
  4. Meanwhile, heat a frying pan until hot and fry the bacon, shallots and garlic for 4-5 minutes, or until golden-brown. Deglaze the pan with the white wine and continue to cook until most of the liquid has evaporated.
  5. Slice the potatoes thinly and layer into an ovenproof gratin dish with the bacon mixture. Pour over the double cream. Season with salt and lots of freshly ground black pepper. Layer the Reblochon slices on top.
  6. Bake in the oven for 10-15 minutes or until the cheese is golden-brown and bubbling.

    Recipe from: http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/tartiflette_59096  
     
    Tartiflette

    Picture

    Picture
      
    Les Menuires
     



No comments:

Post a Comment

Translate